Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Choir in the time of Pandemic

In this time of pandemic, virtual choirs are flourishing. I don't think I need to define a virtual choir, but . . .


Virtual Choir (VC) is an assembly of geographically dispersed singers performing choral works. Individual singers post videos of themselves singing their parts and technicians (or a technician) coordinate the audio into a single performance.

There is now a lot of software that one can buy to set up a virtual choir; It is still, however, limited.

1) the music needs to be short; say around 2-3 minutes.

2) the music must be rhythmically stable; i.e., no sudden alterations of tempi and such.


A lot of the choir music being recorded is, I have to say, is quite sappy; loud, "glorious", and immensely predictable.

Some of them are good, though!

The Sacred Harp Quarantine Choir.



Down to the River




Mendelssohn: Psalm 42.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

William Tuckey - Who's he?

We have all heard of William Billings, Daniel Read, or Supply Belcher (that's his real name!), but why not William Tuckey?      William ...